Skip to main content

Work Permit

Work Permit

During the School Year

To obtain a work permit during the school year, take your fully completed work permit worksheet to your school's career center. They will use this worksheet to create the actual work permit that your employer will need. Please note that the form must be completed by all parties, student, parent and employer in order to be processed.  The turnaround time is 24 hours. 



Because of Covid-19 there will be no work permit office hours at this time.  You may obtain a work permit application here.   If you need a work permit when schools are closed, send your fully completed work permit request form to Helen Burrows at .  Please note that the form must be completed by all parties, student, parent and employer in order to be processed.  If you are going to be employed by more than one business you will need a work permit for each employer.  The work permit turnaround time is 24 hours.


Entertainment Industry

Information about a work permit application specific only to the entertainment industry is available on the State of California Department of Industrial Relations page.  You may obtain an entertainment work permit here.  After completion by the parent and school representative (or district office by email during summer ), this application will need to be mailed or presented to any office of the Division of Labor Standards Enforcement for issuance of your work permit.  Work permits will be issued within 3 business days and mailed to you.  Please include a pre-addressed, stamped envelope.  The nearest office is located at 1515 Clay Street in Oakland.


Graduates under Age 18

High school graduates under the age of 18, who are not subject to the compulsory education laws, are entirely excluded from permit requirements, work hour restrictions, and all occupational prohibitions. However, under federal regulation high school graduates may not be employed in an occupation prohibited to minors under 18 unless they have also completed a bona fide course of training in that occupation. [29 CFR 570.50] “Dropouts” are still subject to California’s compulsory education laws, and thus are subject to all state child labor requirements.


To find out additional information from the California Department of Labor and frequently asked questions from the California Department of Education.