Important Changes to the SRVUSD Course Advancement Program for 2017!!
SRVUSD recognizes that some students are interested in advancing in the areas of math, science, world language, and/or college preparatory electives so we have devised a program to help facilitate the process. Registration for Summer Advancement is a multi -step process as outlined below. All steps must be completed by the deadlines listed. Failure to meet any deadline will result in the student being placed on the waitlist for the math assessment exam (if applicable) and/or the desired course for 2017-2018.
Here is an overview of the process. Click here for step-by-step instructions on the Enrollment & Transcript submission process.
STEP 1 - SUBMIT SRVUSD COURSE ADVANCEMENT APPLICATION:
- Click HERE to be taken to the Advancement application. Deadline for submission is June 2, 2017.
- SRVUSD accepts only one course per subject area, per school year.
- Please submit only one application per course, per student. Duplicate entries are NOT necessary!
STEP 2 - ENROLL IN CLASS(ES) AT CHOSEN INSTITUTION
- Enrollment must be completed by June 30, 2017.
Click here for a list of possible institutions and courses. SRVUSD does not favor one institution/course over the other, nor do we guarantee that these courses adhere to the State of California standards, or that students will pass the placement exam (if applicable). This is only a partial list of institutions that can be used for Advancement; those listed tend to be the most commonly used. Institutions used for Advancement must be both WASC accredited and approved by the UCs. Check with each institution to verify California State Standards alignment.
If you have questions about specific institutions/courses, check with your high school counselor.
STEP 3 - NEW REQUIREMENT THIS YEAR - PROVIDE PROOF OF ENROLLMENT:
- For each course a student is applying to advance through, a Proof of Enrollment must be provided by June 30, 2017.
- Proof of Enrollment must be submitted via email. Click here for Proof of Enrollment submission requirements and email address.
STEP 4 - MATH ASSESSMENT EXAM (For students taking Algebra 2 and/or PreCalculus only)
- Exam will be administered on August 4, 2017.
- To guarantee your spot at this exam, you must submit your Advancement Registration form no later than June 2, 2017 and submit your Proof of Enrollment no later than June 30, 2017.
- Click here for details on the Math Assessment Exam and Scoring/Placement information
- There is no make-up date
STEP 5 - TRANSCRIPTS - NEW REQUIREMENT THIS YEAR - HAND-DELIVERED TO SCHOOLS:
- Hand-deliver final transcripts to student's high school between August 2 & August 18, 2017. Schools will not accept any transcripts received via mail, fax or email.
- Transcripts will not be accepted prior to August 2 .
- The District Office will NOT accept transcripts this year.
Important Reminder! Failure to meet any of the above referenced deadlines will result in the student being placed on the waitlist for the math assessment exam (if applicable) and/or the desired course for 2017-2018.
Why is a Proof of Enrollment Being Required?
The District supports our students’ desires to advance in their coursework, but it is imperative that our numbers are accurate in order to be properly prepared. In the past, parents have enrolled students in several courses because they "might" take multiple courses over the summer but end up not doing all of them. The information generated by the Advancement application is needed to:
- Hire the necessary number of teachers for each subject, keeping in mind credentialing requirements
- Determine how many sections of each subject need to be offered at each school to accommodate students’ Advancement requests
- Order the appropriate curriculum and instructional materials needed for each subject
By requiring the Proof of Enrollment by June 30, the Counselors at each site will have more accurate information to base these decisions on and will be better able to accommodate student course requests.